Abdoulaye Mar Dieye of Senegal was appointed Assistant Administrator and Director of the Regional Bureau for Africa at UNDP on 16 July 2013.
Mr. Dieye has many years of distinguished service within UNDP, most recently as Chief of Staff and Director of the Executive Office (since 2009). Prior to this, he served as Deputy Assistant Administrator and Deputy Regional Director, Regional Bureau for Arab States, New York, overseeing UNDP programme portfolios in Northern Africa, the Middle East and the Gulf Countries. Mr. Dieye has held various leadership positions, including as Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General, UN Operations in Cote d’Ivoire; UN Resident Coordinator, UN Designated Official for Security, Humanitarian Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Abidjan. Mr. Dieye has held several senior positions with the UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa as Senior Economist; Chief of Staff; Chief Economist and Chief of Policy; and Country Director of Programmes and Operations for West Africa.
Prior to joining the UN, Mr. Dieye held a series of senior level positions in Senegal, including as Chief, General Planning Division, Ministry of Planning and Cooperation.
Mr. Dieye is an Ingenieur Statisticien Economiste; he graduated from the Ecole Nationale de la Statistique et de l’Administration Economique of the Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques (INSEE), Paris. He also holds a Masters degree in Development Studies from the Institute of Social Studies in The Hague.
Born in 1952, he is married and has four children.
- Statement RBA Director Abdoulaye Mar Dieye on the Regional Programme for Africa Document to the First Regular Session of the Executive Board Jan 23, 2018
- UNDP Associate Administrator Statement On Country Programme Documents 2018 First Regular Session of the Executive Board Jan 23, 2018
- Remarks by Regional Director for Africa Abdoulaye Mar Dieye at the 2018 First Regular Session of the Executive Board of UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Jan 23, 2018
View more >
Director's blog posts
Feb 23, 2017
View more >
- 5 September 2016 : « L’Afrique peut devenir pionnière sur les questions de genre » (Jeune Afrique)
- 13 June 2016: The Meaning of TICAD: The Enduring Relevance of a Unique Policy Forum (Financial Afrik)
- 10 June 2016: Africa’s head start on implementing Global Goals (Financial Times, This is Africa)